COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions

When will programming begin again?

There are several factors that will determine when and at what level programming will begin again, many of which are outside of our control and determined by our elected officials in the best interest of public safety.

What we know now is:

  • Regular School-Age Care, Preschool and Enrichment programs are cancelled through the end of the school year 
  • Five community center locations are approved to begin offering emergency childcare to children whose parents/guardians meet the Mayor or Governor’s ‘Essential Workforce’ criteria.  We will be serving participants ages 3 years (self-toileting) - 12 years. Please reach out to Connor Durham at Seattle Parks and Recreation via email ([email protected]) if you need emergency childcare and meet the Mayor or Governor’s ‘Essential Workforce’ criteria. Below are the locations we are currently operating:
    • Alki Community Center
    • Ballard Community Center
    • Bitter Lake Community Center
    • Meadowbrook Community Center
    • Queen Anne Community Center
  • All recreation programs (instructor led classes) are cancelled through the end of spring quarter, June 20, 2020
  • Summer programming (if permitted) will operate at a limited capacity and we do not have specific details available to share at this time
When does registration for the 20-21 school year open?

Registration for Fall 2020 preschool is now open. Registration for Fall before and after school programs is to be determined.

When does summer camp registration open?

Registration for summer camp opens Tuesday May 12, 2020.

How do I get a refund for a cancelled program or class?

For questions or information on refunds, please contact your local recreation facility

How do I apply for a recreation scholarship?

Go here for more information on how to apply for recreations scholarships.

How are ARC staff and instructors impacted by the closures?

We recognize that our recreation instructors and program staff are some of the most talented, dedicated and devoted professionals in the field, so the actions forced by this pandemic have been extremely difficult. Our staffing model is primarily dependent on revenue produced by programs and services delivered by staff and instructors to the community.

As a result of programs being cancelled until further notice, all instructors and most of the School-Age Care, Preschool and Enrichment staff have been furloughed.  Furloughed means that they are temporarily laid off with the expectation that they will be called back to work when programs resume. All furloughed employees can apply for standby pay through the Employment Security Department.

The Washington State Employment Security Department is responsible for determining who is eligible for unemployment benefits.  Traditionally, Independent Contractors are not eligible for unemployment benefits however some provisions were made during this crisis and more information can be found here

How do I contact ARC during the stay home, stay safe order?

Please email Sonia Flores at [email protected] and she will put you in contact with the department that best fits your needs.

Where can I find the most updated information about community center programs?

Here is the best place to find up to date information on COVID-19 impacts on Seattle Parks & Recreation.